Totaal aantal pageviews

dinsdag 14 februari 2023

Nr.16 untill Nr. 20 CD III

 Nr. 16

"Danza Brasilera". Sometimes a piece is a challenge to play. As a friend
of mine proclaimed: "That piece is almost impossible to play" I wanted
to prove the opposite. And while I'm always listening to other rendition 
you are able to give your own rendition some extra's. Of course this is 
South American music and the swing should be there. And to be honest,
it often is played a bit too fast to my opinion. You can hardly play "around"
the beat then. When I'm playing the accompaniment played in the beginning
I'm already adding a syncope in order to make my playing with some more
tension. I'm glad I have been active with my band playing electric guitar as
that adds to a certain kind of swing together with a groove a lot of music 
simply is asking for. I'm playing this song on a Domenico Fisschetti that
sounds surprisingly strong in a recording. An unknown luthier only mentioned
in the Vannes dictionary. He used top woods for his instruments and built
this guitar with a lot of care. But I haven't found a second classical guitar
from his hands yet.... Most likely from the thirties of the past age




Nr. 17.

Merlin's Time" I heard this piece from a guitar player who didn't mentioned
the exact title in the first place. I found it luckily and it is from Al Stewart from 
whom I always play the acoustic guitarsolo in "Year of the Cat" to try out a
dreadnought guitar. Finally I decided to have that solo and the intro of that
song published on Youtube. Merlin's Time I'm playing with variations that
sometimes are both rhythmical and harmonically to keep things fresh. A
beautiful comment on that song a piano player reacted with on YouTube.
Play on a Mass Hirade nr. 15 that plays like butter. I never experienced a 
guitar that is playing that easy. Very carefully constructed with the Mass 
Hirade plans but probably executed by the Takamine workforce, anyway
their most experienced workers. Built in 1983, the He days of Japanse guitar
building. Spruce topped.






Nr.18.

"How's Benson" Of course inspired on a lick I learned from George Benson 
a long time ago. That lick only starts at about 50 seconds. I've changed the
bass notes thus suggesting other chords but with respect to actual lick. At
some times, especially when you get older you sometimes tink of other
people and how they are doing in present times. Played on a Jose Ramirez III
from 1981. As students in the seventies we were all leaded towards this Madrid 
based luthier. and I must say after extensive investigations these guitars can
be used for the most different styles while holding up well. In fact too big for
my small hands, I ordered a 1974 Jose Ramirez that I played a long time until
I found this 1981 example with a too high action but incredible sound and 
much better than my 1974 guitar. And though I found that guitar on an auction 
in Vichy I already heard there that this one was outstanding. Reducing the
high action was the next step to make but with that I started to employ my
skills around guitar restorations.





Nr. 19.

On a somewhat cloudy day with blue and grey clouds  I composed this
guitar piece. And though the cloudy landscape changed from time to time
it gave me a kind of rest I wanted to translate into a guitar piece. So here
it is. Played with a dropped D, a tuning I particularly like as it gives some
extra force to the overall sound of a guitar. Played on a Francisco Esteve
ELEC I was able to buy on an auction in England. Imported in England 
and provided with a "Granados" label, I think people weren't aware of the 
fact that it fact was their highest cutaway model in the Esteve range and
sounded as such! Cedar topped guitar.




Nr. 20.

"Christmas 2021" was an odd time for people all around the world as the
Corona crises affected everyone's life. There was a bit of hope for this to
be ending soon but on the other hand people involved were telling their
"audience" that it was just a start for these kind of epidemical diseases. 
Hope and fear is what you might here in this piece framed together in my 
composition. Also played on the guitar here above. As for now I should 
have used a just recently acquired guitar: Casa Garrido, a shop labelled
guitar but built by a very good luthier who did a great job on this guitar
built in 1977: Vicente Perez Camacho.











Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten